Lacking

When the time comes, I want you to know

That I’ve tried my best

That I’ve broken my back

That I’ve sold my soul

That I’ve killed my pride


Something’s just lacking 


Come here, and I’ll let you in on a secret

Long enough have I endured this ordeal

Long enough have I hidden behind this iron mask

Long enough have I been the fool

Long enough have I played my part


More, and more, and more is lacking


Promise me something

When dining on the ashes no longer cuts it

Stick my head to the grindstone

Split open the mask and find my lost self within

Probably the best thing anyone could ever do for me


And still, more is found lacking


Crack open my skull

Feast on my grey matter

Maybe you’ll find what’s missing

Release me from this prison

Salvation escapes me


Set me free all the same

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of an Era

Entry #16

Goddammit, Me